Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Old is Gold


Old is Gold

I like listening to discourses and attending satsang programs. That’s my way of keeping in touch with reality, finding peace and of course de-stress myself. The session began with Sanskrit versa which is part of one of the chapters in Gita. When the discourse of half way through the discussion became more interesting around ‘why old people were of great importance in earlier days?’

I had returned from vacations during the same time and had spent more than a week with my parents. I was conscious of the discussion and I could clearly feel the heat. During my vacations at my home town, I visited one of friend’s parents (my friend is settled in US and visit home once a year), they were almost in tears and desperately wanted their son to come back. I could feel the absence of life, the memories of their son captured in photographs all across.

So as I understand from the discourse, during earlier Yuga’s the knowledge was passed on from one generation to other by memorizing and reciting verbally. The writing were not the popular or rather advised way of transferring knowledge. The best way to communication the leanings or teachings to children’s and adults was through stories by old people. They commanded the respect and each section of society was responsible for making the strong ‘social fiber’. Hence the stories are always associated with grandfather and grandmother.

Needless to speak the current state of the treatment older people receive. The nuclear families and migration for job to metros and towns. The erosion of confidence in older generation about their own kids. The speed of life moves which leaves less time at disposal for people to think about their old parents and support them.

No comments: