Sunday, November 11, 2012

Celebrating Chinese Diwali



Well, this sarcasm stems from my angst. Why am I angry and how is Diwali associated with Chinese? I like celebrating even small occasions, events and incidents. I picked up this learning from my dad who would not let go any opportunity of distributing sweets in the neighborhood. When I was a kid I used to find this annoying however I realized the importance of ‘celebrating for small reasons’ as I grew up. I still don’t possess the enthusiasm, energy and zeal with which my dad used to create during such celebrations. I try in my own small ways. J

Now, Diwali is THE festivals for Indians and imagine the grandeur of this festival when more than billion people celebrate over a period of almost a week. I wanted to buy ferry lights and lanterns for decoration this year and of course some fire crackers. I visit the market nearby quite popular in the locality for such shopping. The market was quite like massive fair. The parking, honking, traffic, pollution and the October heat was intolerable. Great day for shoppers who were successfully wending their way for selling the goods.  

I was browsing rather strolling the market for the list I had for shopping. The first thing I realize is the dominance of ‘red dragon’. I mean most of the shops were only displaying Chinese goods. Though there were some choice but it was not good enough to make a decision. The ferry lights were cheaper and I am sure it won’t last till next year. I am not so much for ‘made in India’ or Indian flag bearer. I do buy American products and I like them as well. However would like to see our own culture to be reflected in our festivals. It’s a part of our many thousand year old tradition and was disheartening to see been encroached upon.  

What did I do then? I compromised and bought the stuff which will do for this year. And I am going to be judicious next year, will prepare bit early so that I find what I want for Diwali festival. 

No comments: